Monday, October 28, 2013

Happy Halloween

I used to think that I went all out for Halloween. I love costumes, and I have almost as many boxes of Halloween decorations as I do Christmas decorations. This year, however, there was just so much going on that I only managed to decorate inside, throw a wreath on the door and call it done. I still love sharing all the spooky fun with the kids, though, so I made them spiderweb pancakes to have for breakfast this week.




The kids thought they were pretty cool. I just made regular pancake batter, but with white flour rather than whole wheat so the contrast would be more noticeable. Transfer about a cup of the batter to another bowl and color it black with food coloring. My initial thought was to use cocoa powder, but we were out so I just went with the dye. Pour in the white batter first, then swirl on the black and use a toothpick to draw spokes coming out from the center of the pancake.


I had two pans going on the stove to get them done faster.

Spooky Pancakes

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Mix the dry ingredients, then add the wet and stir just till mixed. Batter will be lumpy. Transfer 1 cup to another bowl and add black food coloring or cocoa powder to make a dark batter. Pour 1/4 cup light batter into a hot pan and immediately swirl the dark batter on top. Drag a toothpick through both colors to create the web effect. Cook until bubbles form and edges are slightly set and flip. 

And of course, don't forget to leave a note so people can appreciate your hard work. In the morning. While you're still in bed.


I just love having a dry erase kitchen table.

Happy Halloween! 



No comments:

Post a Comment